xXx Ennui xXx
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

British music festival is critcisized for Jay Z-------yahoo

4 posters

Go down

British music festival is critcisized for Jay Z-------yahoo Empty British music festival is critcisized for Jay Z-------yahoo

Post by FireangelX Wed 16 Apr 2008, 5:57 pm

LONDON - Organizers of one of Britain's best-known music festivals on Tuesday defended their decision to book Jay-Z as their headline act after Oasis songwriter Noel Gallagher blamed the U.S. rapper for disappointing ticket sales.

The outdoor Glastonbury festival is a cornerstone of Britain's music calendar. But this year's festival has yet to sell out, in contrast to past years when tickets were snapped up within hours.
Gallagher, whose band headlined the festival in 1995 and 2004, said rap was to blame.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it," Gallagher said in an interview, an audio of which was posted to the British Broadcasting Corp.'s Web site Monday. "If you break it, people ain't gonna go. I'm sorry, but Jay-Z? ... No chance."

He explained that the inclusion of a hip-hop act went against the festival's tradition of guitar music, adding: "I'm not having hip-hop at Glastonbury. No way. No. It's wrong."

Glastonbury Festival co-organizer Emily Eavis said the 38-year-old festival had a long history of attracting rap acts, including Cypress Hill and The Roots. She said the media stir over Gallagher's comments revealed an "innate conservatism" in some sectors of British society.

"There is also an interesting undercurrent in the suggestion that a black, U.S. hip-hop artist shouldn't be playing in front of what many perceive to be a white, middle-class audience. I'm not sure what to call it, at least not in public, but this is something that causes me some disquiet," she said in an article published Tuesday in The Independent newspaper.

Eavis said she thought Jay-Z was "absolutely the right act" for the festival.
FireangelX
FireangelX

Number of posts : 153
Job : writer n photographer
Hobbies : NeRDY MuSic LoVER!
Registration date : 2007-03-26

Back to top Go down

British music festival is critcisized for Jay Z-------yahoo Empty Re: British music festival is critcisized for Jay Z-------yahoo

Post by FireangelX Wed 16 Apr 2008, 6:01 pm

racism!!!!
FireangelX
FireangelX

Back to top Go down

British music festival is critcisized for Jay Z-------yahoo Empty Re: British music festival is critcisized for Jay Z-------yahoo

Post by Snyper Wed 16 Apr 2008, 11:45 pm

FireangelX, I can't fully agree with you there. I think what was really implied, was that the 'sub-category' of Jay Z' rap may have been felt to be inappropriate.

I'm sure the same thing would have been said if Marshal Mathers, performed as well. Lets take a look at Daniel Dumille (MF Doom). Do you think that his lyrics necessarily are any different from any other respecterd rapper out there?

Would you necessarily make the same statement, had it been Snoop Dogg instead?
Snyper
Snyper

Number of posts : 872
Job : Student
Hobbies : Composing rhythims using audition software (any my trusty electronic keyboard)
Registration date : 2007-10-12

http://www.techjamaica.com

Back to top Go down

Post by FireangelX Thu 17 Apr 2008, 10:23 pm

i would like to see how it goes. Cause it isn't just the music that Brits are after....
FireangelX
FireangelX

Back to top Go down

Post by niqui Tue 06 May 2008, 5:55 pm

I have to agree with snyper on this one. I don't think it's racism. I think that the festival genuinely caters to certain genre of music and hiphop is just not one of them.
Not everybody likes hiphop just like not everybody likes country or classical music.
Each music form can be related to ethnicity like hiphop to blaack ppl or country music to white ppl, however, just because I don't like a certain genre doesn't mean i don't like the ppl that the genre is associated with.
Think about it like this:
If it was announced that Slipknot is to perform at Bembe (:?), how would the regular Bembe patrons feel about that? How many of them would actually turn up?
niqui
niqui

Number of posts : 373
Registration date : 2007-04-15

Back to top Go down

Post by FireangelX Sun 06 Jul 2008, 12:38 am

YAHOO MUSIC BLOG:

It's 4th of July week, which means we Yanks are celebrating our independence from those evil, redcoated Brits. And holding the best celebration this week was Jay-Z, who flaunted his flag-flying American supremacy in front of an audience of thousands at last weekend's Glastonbury Festival in England.

See, Glastonbury is Britain's biggest summer rockfest, and it's usually headlined by popular limey rock bands like Coldplay, Muse, Radiohead, and Oasis. So this year, when it was announced that American rapper Jay-Z would top the Glasto bill, Oasis's own mouthy mouthpiece Noel Gallagher was none too thrilled. Noel even went so far as to publicly blame Jigga for Glastonbury 2008's unusually low ticket sales. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you break it, people ain't gonna go," the famously cantankerous Britpopper complained to the BBC in one of his typically brazen interviews. "I'm sorry, but Jay-Z? No chance. I'm not having hip-hop at Glastonbury. No way. No. It's wrong."

Well, apparently 140,000 or so festivalgoers disagreed with Noel and showed up for the headlining Hova...who kicked off his Glastonbury set in a most cheeky fashion by performing Oasis's "Wonderwall" acoustic, dressed in a Gallagher-esque anorak, while a parody film featuring Noel's nasty comments screened behind him. The crowd exploded, according to The London Times, which reported: "Both audience and artist rose to the occasion and turned in a moment of real, euphoric, pop-culture history."

"[Jay-Z's] performance will go down in Glastonbury history," British paper The Independent also declared, while The Guardian concurred: "It's brilliantly staged, utterly thrilling, and it makes Gallagher look a bit of a berk."

Yep, Jay-Z showed 'em what he got, indeed. But hey, Mr. Gallagher--don't look back in anger, a'ight?
FireangelX
FireangelX

Back to top Go down

Post by Death metal kid Max Wed 09 Jul 2008, 8:21 am

niqui wrote:If it was announced that Slipknot is to perform at Bembe (:?), how would the regular Bembe patrons feel about that? How many of them would actually turn up?

If slipknot performed at bembe, and Jamaicans actually knew what slipknot was...they'd either tear down the club or run very very far away......but Niqui's rite...i don't think its racism
Death metal kid Max
Death metal kid Max
Protege
Protege

Number of posts : 60
Job : Banker, Sorceror, Elementalist.
Hobbies : Witchcraft
Registration date : 2007-12-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum