xXx Ennui xXx
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fish Pedicures: Carp Rid Human Feet of Scaly Skin

4 posters

Go down

Fish Pedicures: Carp Rid Human Feet of Scaly Skin Empty Fish Pedicures: Carp Rid Human Feet of Scaly Skin

Post by FireangelX Mon 21 Jul 2008, 1:04 pm

Ready for the latest in spa pampering? Prepare to dunk your tootsies in a tank of water and let tiny carp nibble away.

Fish Pedicures: Carp Rid Human Feet of Scaly Skin Strange0714

Fish pedicures are creating something of a splash in the D.C. area, where a northern Virginia spa has been offering them for the past four months.

John Ho, who runs the Yvonne Hair and Nails salon with his wife, Yvonne Le, said 5,000 people have taken the plunge so far.

"This is a good treatment for everyone who likes to have nice feet," Ho said.

Fish Pedicures: Carp Rid Human Feet of Scaly Skin 0_61_072108_fish
July 17, 2008: Tracy Roberts, 33, of Rockville, Md., has her toes nibbled on by a type of carp called garra rufa or doctor fish.

He said he wanted to come up with something unique while finding a replacement for pedicures that use razors to scrape off dead skin. The razors have fallen out of favor with state regulators because of concerns about whether they're sanitary.

Ho was skeptical at first about the fish, which are called garra rufa but typically known as doctor fish. They were first used in Turkey and have become popular in some Asian countries.

But Ho doubted they would thrive in the warm water needed for a comfortable footbath. And he didn't know if customers would like the idea.

"I know people were a little intimidated at first," Ho said. "But I just said,

'Let's give it a shot.' "

Customers were quickly hooked.

Tracy Roberts, 33, of Rockville, Md., heard about it on a local radio show.

She said it was "the best pedicure I ever had" and has spread the word to friends and co-workers

"I'd been an athlete all my life, so I've always had calluses on my feet.

This was the first time somebody got rid of my calluses completely," she said.

First time customer KaNin Reese, 32, of Washington, described the tingling sensation created by the toothless fish: "It kind of feels like your foot's asleep," she said.

The fish don't do the job alone. After 15 to 30 minutes in the tank, customers get a standard pedicure, made easier by the soft skin the doctor fish leave behind.

Ho believes his is the only salon in the country to offer the treatment, which costs $35 for 15 minutes and $50 for 30 minutes. The spa has more than 1,000 fish, with about 100 in each individual pedicure tank at any given time.
FireangelX
FireangelX

Number of posts : 153
Job : writer n photographer
Hobbies : NeRDY MuSic LoVER!
Registration date : 2007-03-26

Back to top Go down

Fish Pedicures: Carp Rid Human Feet of Scaly Skin Empty Re: Fish Pedicures: Carp Rid Human Feet of Scaly Skin

Post by FireangelX Mon 21 Jul 2008, 1:07 pm

this is going to put all the perdicurist out of business.
FireangelX
FireangelX

Number of posts : 153
Job : writer n photographer
Hobbies : NeRDY MuSic LoVER!
Registration date : 2007-03-26

Back to top Go down

Fish Pedicures: Carp Rid Human Feet of Scaly Skin Empty Re: Fish Pedicures: Carp Rid Human Feet of Scaly Skin

Post by Snyper Mon 21 Jul 2008, 10:02 pm

The price being charged for this service, seems right. I laugh at the customer, who squishes a few of these fish(es).

However, I can't imagine such toothless critters nibbling away enough flesh to remove callous (and all that other stuff). What about the much softer (sensitive) parts of your feet?

I'll speed up the process for you, by throwing in a few Piranhas.
Snyper
Snyper

Number of posts : 872
Job : Student
Hobbies : Composing rhythims using audition software (any my trusty electronic keyboard)
Registration date : 2007-10-12

http://www.techjamaica.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tabooXchanz Tue 22 Jul 2008, 1:59 am

ooo yuss I heard about this previously and then again recently when I was watching ugly betty and someone in it did one of these pedis...hmm I do think it works

snyper --> LOL piranhas?
tabooXchanz
tabooXchanz
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 1063
Hobbies : singing, listening to music, computers, tech toys, AFI
Registration date : 2007-01-31

https://ennui.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Taikenzor Wed 30 Jul 2008, 9:38 am

I remember this.
Are you sure carps are toothless, most fish have tooth-like structures... yunno like the ones on your dinner plate lol. Piranah sounds... a bit extreme.
Is it that they attack at the scent of blood or is it just plain hunger?
Taikenzor
Taikenzor
Protege
Protege

Number of posts : 126
Job : Amateur Flash Animator
Hobbies : Creating mini cartoons, sketching, watching sunsets, hanging out with the DF Clan XD
Registration date : 2008-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Snyper Wed 30 Jul 2008, 8:21 pm

Taikenzor wrote:Is it that they attack at the scent of blood or is it just plain hunger?

Piranhas occasionally bite and sometimes injure bathers and swimmers, but truly serious attacks are rare and the threat to humans has been largely exaggerated

The piranha is renownedly portrayed and known as a vicious species of fish hunting in large schools. This conception was created from the past belief that piranhas created schools for hunting purposes. Recent research, however, suggests that this is actually used as a defense mechanism against the piranha's natural predators, such as river dolphins, caimans and giant pirarucu

Taken from:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piranha
Snyper
Snyper

Hobbies : Composing rhythims using audition software (any my trusty electronic keyboard)

Back to top Go down

Post by Taikenzor Thu 31 Jul 2008, 11:37 am

Oh yeah... the viciousness doesn't escape me. Seen video. A group ate an egret leaving nothing but feathers and there's one on youtube wth them eating a mouse... that was swimming in a tank with them.
Taikenzor
Taikenzor
Protege
Protege

Hobbies : Creating mini cartoons, sketching, watching sunsets, hanging out with the DF Clan XD

Back to top Go down

Post by Snyper Fri 01 Aug 2008, 1:59 am

I dont think the one with the mouse, was appropriate for public viewing. The remains of the rodent, didn't even float (no surprise here). I don't support direct canibalism either (feeding 'em goldfish).
Snyper
Snyper

Back to top Go down

Post by Taikenzor Wed 06 Aug 2008, 7:09 pm

It's kind of a wonder why they don't eat each other when times are tough. Unless it's a pack kinda relationship
Taikenzor
Taikenzor
Protege
Protege

Back to top Go down

Post by Snyper Wed 06 Aug 2008, 7:11 pm

An article I read, states that they'll eat any of the 'sick' ones in the pack (or any with any open wounds).
Snyper
Snyper

Back to top Go down

Post by tabooXchanz Wed 06 Aug 2008, 8:23 pm

hmm interesting
tabooXchanz
tabooXchanz
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 1063
Hobbies : singing, listening to music, computers, tech toys, AFI
Registration date : 2007-01-31

https://ennui.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down